Tattoos in the Modern Age

In the past, the tattoo had been regarded as a sinful practice, seen as an extreme by normal society. The men who would normally have tattoos would’ve been those abandoned by these ideas of being like the rest, men who road the tide as sailors, or convicted and branded as felons. These men and women who wore these symbols proudly, would’ve been assumed to be wrongful by those around them. Body modification across the spectrum has been seen as a taboo, and will always encounter issues with those who do not believe in what its supposed to stand for. In many ways though, this is part of the character of the tattoo, a rebellious act meant to last forever.

Today, the tattoo has moved in to the mainstream, and those who wear them continues to be those who seek the iconic image and what they believe it represents. As of last year alone, 1.65 billion had been spent on tattoos in the U.S. 36% of people between the ages of 18 and 25, have admitted to having at least one tattoo of some size. Even with the cost, and the lingering negative connotations, people seeking to get a work done is on the rise. The change although being dramatic, still presents issues to those wear tattoos in places not coverable by modest clothing. Those seeking work still have to face the unprofessionalism of body art, and often those with tattoos are seen in a different light. These concepts though too, seem to be changing with the world around us, and may soon prove to be different.

Although tattoos have made a shift from the fringes of society, to the norm, they still carry the same views and ideas they always have. With a new generation coming, and a whole new view on tattoos, it must be asked how far it will go. Maybe someday the criticism and taboo will subside and tattoos will be seen as an art.

By Kennie Hitchcock