Sochi Olympics End With a Bang!!!

While the winter olympics aren’t viewed to be as grand and exciting as the summer olyimpics, they are full of fun, exciting news.  Russia leaped into first with the medal count in the final two days of the games, while the United States managed to get a catch on second place with 28 medals.  These games were overall a near failure in spite for Russia though.  With their lack of planning and late start on construction, nearly nothing was complete other than the sports complexes, which also had problems of their own.  Also, dreams were crushed by people with high hopes like Shaun White, who didn’t even manage to snag a medal.  Nobody is perfect in this world, and mistakes are made, eve en in the most expensive olympics in history costing billions of dollars.

One of the toughest sports in the winter olympics without flips and tricks is probably cross country skiing.  This is just like distance running only with skis on soft and packed snow with the poles and a lot of hills with lots of labor to conquer each and every one of them.. It hurts just watching all of the athletes compete in this and it shows its challenge when every competitor finishes and then collapses on the ground in exhaustion.

While the olympics were viewed as a basic failure due to numerous issues, most of the problems had to do with the area and housing, only a few with the sport arenas.  Housing was no where near being complete and wild dogs filled the streets of Sochi, but with the help of a few athletes, some of the dogs got homes.  The games began with many issues, but with the games themselves, Sochi was a successful host and managed to gain a sense of humor in their closing ceremonies with a joke about their olympic ring failure.  

Image

Photo credit: Sochi.edu

By Nick Bartlett