AFC Clinches Pro Bowl Victory

Pro Bowl quarterback Alex Smith looks to cornerback Chris Harris Jr.

The NFL Pro Bowl is one of the most highly anticipated all-star games in America. The best players from the NFC and the AFC are chosen to play in the Pro Bowl. For several years the Pro Bowl was set up in drafting format, where two former players would pick their teams. Two legends to pick teams were Bruce Irvin and Jerry Rice. This year the Pro Bowl returned to a conference based format, where the best players would be placed on teams in their respective conferences.

Commissioner Roger Goodell announced that the 2017 Pro Bowl would be a “week-long celebration for football and our fans”; a number of family-oriented side events were held at the Walt Disney World Resort and its ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex, including practices, a 5K run, youth events, and player appearances. Skill competitions were also held between the players.

For more than twenty years the Pro Bowl took place in Hawaii at Aloha Stadium. However, this year the bid for the next three Pro Bowls was granted to Camping World Stadium in Orlando, Florida, where Pro Bowl rightsholder ESPN has operations at Walt Disney World.

The NFC was led by big names like Giants wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr, Vikings cornerback Xavier Rhodes, Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman, Cowboys rookie running back Ezekiel Elliott, and Saints quarterback Drew Brees. The AFC was led by Broncos linebacker Von Miller, Broncos cornerback Aqib Talib, Pittsburgh linebacker Ryan Shazier, Bengals quarterback Andy Dalton, and Chiefs tight end Travis Kelce.

The game started slow with no scoring drives in the first quarter, however once the second quarter got started Chiefs quarterback Alex Smith threw a 26 yard touchdown pass to Delanie Walker to put the AFC on the scoreboard.

Eight minutes later Drew Brees threw a 47 yard touchdown pass to Doug Baldwin to tie up the score 7-7.

The AFC team struck back and broke the tie late in the first half with a 23 yard pass from Andy Dalton to Travis Kelce. The teams went to the locker room with the AFC winning 14-7.

About half way into the third quarter Ravens placekicker Justin Tucker sent a football soaring through the middle of the goal post after an 11 play drive. This brought the score to 17-7 with AFC in the lead.

Early in the fourth quarter Justin Tucker let the football rip through the air a second time  from the 31 yard line.

Lions placekicker Matt Prater sent up two field goals in the last ten minutes to bring the score to 20-13, with the AFC taking home the win in the low scoring game.

After the game several players made comments about the game. Odell Beckham Jr. said, “I had a lot of fun tonight.” Although he made a short quote he showed the true meaning of the game, to just have fun. He went on to further say, “Being able to come out here for another game after the season was over … I just wanted to have fun. That’s what it’s all about.”

Super Bowl 51 is taking place on February 5, 2017.