MENTAL OR NOT

On Sunday, November 13, 2016 a Stanislaus County Deputy Sheriff by the name of Dennis Wallace was shot twice in the head when responding to a suspicious van parked near Fox Grove fishing access in Hughson, California. During the stop it was found that the person responsible of the shooting was identified as Machado. Machado, who then left the scene, proceeded to carjack a subject for another vehicle, leaving behind the previous stolen van. Machado was arrested after he tried to steal a purse from a woman who called the police.

On November 21, 2016 Machado appeared in court where it was said that he wished to represent himself. The judge ordered a mental health evaluation for Machado to see if he will be able to stand trial or if he will receive treatment before returning to face his murder charge. Machado has a special circumstance allegation that could make him eligible for the death penalty.

On January 23, 2017 Machado returned to court where the case was suspended until Machado gets help to restore his mental competency. The Stanislaus County judge said that Machado is able to understand the court proceedings but is not able to assist his attorney in the case.

Machado will return February 14, 2017 to determine what mental treatment he will get. He could be sent to a state hospital where he will receive treatment to restore his ability to stand trial for all of his crimes.