Inauguration 2017

The inauguration of Donald Trump, the 45th President of the United States, and Mike Pence, the Vice President, was held on January 20, 2017.

Shortly after breakfast and a church service the morning of Inauguration Day, Donald Trump and his wife Melania met President Barack Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama at the White House. Traditionally, outgoing and incoming presidents ride to the Capitol Building together, and Obama and Trump kept that tradition alive.

Once at the Capitol Building, the ceremony began. Senator Roy Blunt, Republican of Missouri, spoke early in the ceremony. The Mormon Tabernacle Choir performed and has performed for five additional U.S. presidents throughout history.

Eventually, both Mike Pence and Donald Trump were sworn into office as Vice President and President, respectively. President Trump took the oath of office from Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts. After his swearing in, Trump began to speak as the new President, with a speech lasting about 20 minutes.

It is estimated that around 900,000 people were expected to come attend the ceremony, including protesters.

After the ceremony, Donald Trump, Mike Pence and their families lead a parade down the Pennsylvania Avenue to the White House. The organizers of this event  expected more than 8,000 people to attend, including high school and university marching bands, and veterans groups.

When Donald Trump walked into the White House for the first time as president, his clothes were hanging in his closet and his personal photos were placed on the walls. Everything was perfect for the Trump family.

“The entire house has to be just the way the incoming family wants it,” former White House chief usher Stephen Rochon said.

Barron Trump, age 10, is the  youngest of Trump’s children, and he will be the first boy to live in the White House since John F. Kennedy Jr. in the 1960s.

Not everyone is fond of this election’s results, as was demonstrated by multiple protests following Trump’s Inauguration, though there are many people celebrating the new Presidency as well.