“SpongeBob” creator reveals ALS diagnosis

Stephen Hillenburg, the creator of “SpongeBob SquarePants,” one of Nickelodeon’s most iconic and recognizable shows, announced that he was diagnosed with ALS last Monday.

The 55-year-old was previously working as a marine biologist until he decided to become an artist in his second field. He later professionally transitioned to animation after being inspired by animation festivals at the time when “The Simpsons” and “Ren and Stimpy” were gaining popularity. After earning a master’s degree at the California Institute of the Arts in 1992, cartoonist Joe Murray saw one of his animated shorts and offered him a job on his show “Rocko’s Modern Life,” where Hillenburg would meet the future voice of his titular character, Tom Kenny.

Since its debut as a Saturday morning cartoon in 1999, SpongeBob SquarePants progressed into a multibillion-dollar franchise, spawning merchandise, media, theme park attractions, and even a musical. As of today, the show has been renewed for an 11th season that is set to air late this year. Hillenburg directed “The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie” in 2004 and served as executive producer and co-writer for its 2015 sequel. A third theatrical film is scheduled for a 2019 release.

“Anyone who knows me knows that I will continue to work on ‘SpongeBob SquarePants’ and my other passions for as long as I am able,” Hillenburg said in a statement to Variety. “My family and I are grateful for the outpouring of love and support. We ask that are sincere request of privacy be honored during this time.”

Nickelodeon also released a statement on his diagnosis that read, “Steve Hillenburg is a brilliant creator who brings joy to millions of fans. Our thoughts and support are with Steve and his family during this difficult time. Out of respect for their wishes for privacy, we will have no further comment.”

ALS, short for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, is a rare but terminal neurodegenerative disease that causes muscles to weaken and impacts physical function. It is also known as Lou Gehrig’s disease, named after the late baseball player who helped spread awareness after he was first diagnosed. Recently in 2014, a viral trend known as the Ice Bucket Challenge helped promote more awareness and encouraged donations to research. It has no known cure as of yet, and according to the ALS Association, about 6,000 individuals in the U.S. are diagnosed with the disease each year, which is about 15 people a day. The average life expectancy of a person with ALS is two to five years.