Overseas in Spain

Spain is a must for people looking to experience strong ethnic culture. If you plan on vacationing for more than a week it’s a great idea to make your way from Madrid to Barcelona. However, if your stay is short it’s a good idea to stay in the Madrid, you can take day trips to nearby cities like Segovia and get out of the metropolitan area.

Anyone who takes a joy in sports would be absolutely mesmerized by the stadiums the bigger cities have to offer. The Santiago Bernabeu in Madrid and Camp Nou in Barcelona can both be toured any day that there is no game or event taking place. In both stadiums tours you go through various rooms and see all the trophies and awards the teams have gained as well as memorabilia from the clubs previous teams. Personally, I enjoyed the Bernabeu more, it seemed quite a bit more modern.

If you feel like venturing out of Madrid, Segovia is a great place to visit. The city is famous for it’s aqueduct that was built during the time of Roman rule. It is also known for a restaurant called Meson de Candido, which has some of the best food I’ve ever had.

While in Spain it’s also a good idea to try some Paella, a rice dish that’s famous throughout the country. Another common way of serving food is tapas, where you order several small appetizer like plates of olives, cured meats, and croquettes to name a few.

In Barcelona don’t be surprised when locals have no idea what you’re saying in Spanish, this is simply because in Catalonia, a region of Spain, they speak a French like language called Catalan and stores are labeled in Catalan instead of Spain’s more common Castilian. Also don’t be surprised when people try advertising their businesses as you walk, if you’re not interested just keep walking.

While in Barcelona, you can see several of Antoní Gaudi’s works of art. The most impressive one is the Sagrada Familia, a large Catholic Church that he had helped to design. On the rear side of the church the scenes of the nativity, the passion, and the glory.

If you go be prepared for all sorts of weather. The weather can go from sunny 75 degrees to 45 degrees and snowing in just half an hour. So if you think it’s going to be warm bring a jacket in your backpack just in case.

I’d recommend traveling to Spain for anyone who likes to experience other cultures. If you’ve never been to a country that speaks another language this would be a good one to start with because we get a basic understanding of Spanish in school and most people there speak English very well.