Tennis TVL Tournament

The Ripon High School tennis team played in the TVL tournament on April 28 and April 29. A few of the players got awards right before the entire team went to playoffs. Many tennis players enjoyed the TVL tournament because the team got to be together for two days. Sophomore Philip Carson said, “I enjoyed the tournament because I was able to spend a lot of time playing tennis.”

Carlson’s partner for the first day in boys’ doubles was senior Diego Franco-Carreno. Franco-Carreno said, “The tournament went really well for me because Philip and I won the Doubles 1 bracket for boys on the first day. We played tough teams but were able to pull out the win in the end.”

Some players were also able to go to individual playoffs because of their performance on the second day of the tournament. The players that made it to sections are junior Mandy Wesley, senior Anna Pederson, senior Diego Franco-Carreno, senior Nick Gagnon, and senior Ian Flanders.

Franco-Carreno was very delighted that he was able to make it to sections. He said, “My favorite moment of this season was when Nick and I made it to sections especially because we have been seniors.”

Apart from being able to go to sections, players can also get an All-League award. Carlson got All-League, which was his favorite part of the season. He said, “Winning the tournament and getting All-League was my favorite part of this season. All-League is  when you get a certain amount of points from your wins in the season.”

Another player from the tennis team is sophomore Sam Brown, who normally plays Doubles 2 for boys. Brown also enjoyed the tournament and said, “It provided a wealth of knowledge to how I should improve my game for next year. I had great fun with my friends and family.

The tennis players all had special moments in the season whether they were at matches or in the tournament. Brown’s favorite moment was, “When I won my math 6-0 by doing a scissor kick volley after hitting three tweeners.”

Even though the team made it to playoffs, they were not able to win the first match in the playoffs, which ended the season. Players had a good time at the tournament where they played for two days and some got recognized. Brown said, “I believe tennis should be a sport for all.”