Mrs. Ochoa: Crystal Apple Award Winner

Deven Stokes

On November 16, 2017, one of Ripon High School’s English teachers, Laura Ochoa, was nominated for the Crystal Apple Award, a competition for teachers put on by the LDS church. To Rhet Herrin, a senior at Ripon High School, it was no question to nominate his favorite English teacher for the award. Mrs. Ochoa stated, “I was really honored to be nominated for an award. I thought it was really special that it came from a student and not an adult.”

When Laura Ochoa found out that she won the award, she did not think she was deserving of the nomination. She stated, “As soon as I got the nomination I didn’t think that I was deserving. I come to class everyday and I teach and I don’t ever know if I’m making a difference or not.” But according to Rhet, Miss Ochoa has influenced him to become a better student and to further his education in his future life. When asked about Rhet Herrin, Ochoa said, “He has proven to be an excellent student and a leader in my class as well as an overall great person that I can see myself keeping in touch with after he graduates.

Mrs. Ochoa’s passion for teaching is shown through her hard work, dedication to Ripon High School, and her commitment to her students. She stated, “My favorite thing about teaching is making connections with students and forming relationships. I like teaching them to look at all sides of an issue and teaching them to be global thinkers.”

Overall, Mrs. Ochoa has an incredible amount of gratitude and love for Ripon High School and the Ripon community. “I love Ripon High School. I came to high school here myself. I love our small community and the students and people we have to work with.”