Cubs Defeat Reds for Maddon’s 1,000th Win

Tuesday night was a special night for the Chicago Cubs, and more specifically, Cubs manager, Joe Maddon. The Chicago Cubs (19-19) defeated the Cincinnati Reds (19-19) to give the Cubs manager his 1,000th win.

Home runs by left fielder, Kyle Schwarber, rookie Ian Happ, shortstop, Addison Russell, and first baseman, Anthony Rizzo led the Cubs to a 9-5 victory over the Reds. Schwarber launched a 462-foot homer, Happ hit his second home run in three games, Russell led off the seventh with a blast, and Rizzo shot a solo homer in the eighth inning. It was Chicago’s third win in its last 10 games, while the Reds lost their fourth in a row.

“It was a perfect ending,” said Cubs manager, Joe Maddon. He is the 63rd manager to reach 1,000 wins, and the eighth active one to do so, joining Giants’ Bruce Bochy. “To the players who have been a part of this, I want to say, ‘Thank You’,” said Maddon. “You don’t do it without the players.”

The Cubs and Reds will continue their series until Thursday, May 18.

Billy Bean, MLB’s VP of social responsibility and inclusion, wilth Cubs skipper Joe Maddon on #SpiritDay.