A’s Offense Rely on Home Runs

The Oakland Athletics (17-22) continue to rely on their home runs. On Tuesday, it saved the Athletics from losing their fifth straight game, and they went on to beat the Seattle Mariners (18-22) 9-6.

The Athletics first win in five games included three homers, including a two run blast from right fielder, Matt Joyce that gave them a 6-5 lead after blowing their three run lead in the seventh inning. Joyce’s home run relieved the Athletic’s dugout. “Like ‘Oh my God, we’ve dug back,’” said Athletics first baseman, Mark Canha. “The game goes like that sometimes, it feels like everything is going against you and not going your way, and bad bounces and all that. Just really uplifting.”

The Athletics had a 4-1 lead, but then lost it in the eighth inning when Seattle took a 5-4 lead. Then, in the ninth inning, there was Canha’s three run blast, his third hit of the night which took the Athletics lead to 9-5.

“When you go through streaks like this, you’ve got to find some fight,” said A’s manager, Bob Melvin. “We’ve been losing games by a defensive play, one pitch, little things during this whole stretch, and at some point in time, you have to overcome it and find some grit and do some good things late in games when we’re behind, and we finally did it tonight. So, hopefully this is something we can build on.”

The Athletics came back to beat the Mariners 9-5 and will continue their series until Wednesday, May 17.