Yankees Retire Derek Jeter’s Jersey

On Sunday, May 14, it was all about Derek Jeter in New York. A sellout crowd showed their beloved shortstop, Derek Jeter some affection when his jersey number was retired for the New York Yankees.

Jeter, who struggled to talk about his own game throughout his historical career, was not different during his celebration. He remained very humble, wishing his mother, grandmother, sister, and wife a Happy Mother’s Day, and then thanked his coaches, teammates and everybody else that helped him through his baseball career.

He then credited the fans, saying “The fans–wow. I want to thank you guys for pushing me, for challenging me, for making me accountable, but more importantly, for embracing me since day one.” Jeter was asked what stands out to him as the most special aspect of his career. He never thought about this during his career, but having two years since he has retired from the Major League, he answered with “Being apart of the Yankees team for his entire career.”

“When you’re in it, you don’t really think about it too much because you just come and do your job,” said Jeter. “But after I’ve retired, I realize how special that was.”