Aiyana Herrera: Valedictorian Senior Profile

Aiyana Herrera is the Valedictorian of the graduating class of 2017. She received this title through a lot of hard work and keeping great grades even while taking multiple AP classes.

Herrera has a bright future ahead of her. She will be attending Stanford University with free tuition for mechanical engineering. The Ripon community is proud of Herrera for her accomplishments.

When asked why she picked that school and major, Herrera said, “I picked Stanford because it is a prestigious school and fairly local. I have a lot of role models who are scientists, and I am also interested in the aerospace industry. Mechanical engineering seemed like the best way to achieve that.”

Herrera’s cumulative GPA is 4.29, which is the highest in the graduating class. Herrera was very motivated to accomplish everything she has accomplished and always thrive to do her best.

Herrera has always been motivated by her family. “My general family motivates me, especially my parents. My family worked very hard to get where they are, and it is inspiring. It is expected of me to do well, so those expectations are very motivating.”

As a senior, Herrera is currently taking four AP classes, and her GPA this year is 4.8. Herrera has had a lot of memorable times at RHS. She stated, “I like the small-town community and knowing everyone in my classes and this town. I also like how we get to be friends with everyone in our classes because of Ripon being a small town.”

Herrera is also going to miss Ripon and her time here. When asked what she would miss the most, she said, “My family because I am having a little brother. I am also going to miss my brothers because they are my best friends.”

Herrera is going to miss her life in Ripon but is looking forward to her future. She is also excited about being the Valedictorian this year. “ I did not expect being Valedictorian as a freshman. I also was not sure if I would be comfortable with the title because I did not want to give a speech, but it is special.”

Herrera has worked very hard to get where she is today and plans on working even harder in the future. Being Valedictorian have her a title she could be proud of. Herrera stated, “I think it is special that Zach, the Salutatorian, and I are both minority students. It feels good to be able to represent ethnic pride by being Valedictorian.” Good luck to our Valedictorian Aiyana Herrera!