Back-to-School Barbecue

The annual Back-to-School Barbecue took place at the Ripon High campus on August 18.  This yearly event allows students to interact with each other at the beginning of the year by enjoying hot dogs and hamburgers as well as signing up for clubs.  This experience also gives incoming freshman a chance to sign up for clubs to connect with other students they normally do not talk to.

“I am looking forward to joining pride tribe, girls’ league, and block R because my sister told me they were the most popular clubs,” said freshman Allison Stanley, “I am also hoping to join United because it was created by a few of my senior friends.”

Most clubs continue throughout the years, while other students start new clubs and get them approved by advisors or teachers.  

“I have seen a few new clubs like the Movie Club, Fanny Pack Club, and United.  I think the Movie and Fanny Pack clubs will really give students a fun new way to get involved and meet people that they normally wouldn’t have contact with,” said junior and ASB vice president Mia Benzinger.  “United allows student athletes who are religious to find people who are similar to them in their beliefs, which will give them a sense of unity.”

Besides providing clubs for the freshman to get a taste of their high school experience, many returning students were seen signing up for clubs that they have already been involved in in the past, as well as clubs that they haven’t experienced before.

Junior Rebecca McConohay said, “I am rejoining Sacred Heart because we help the less fortunate and I was involved in it last year.”

Many students are already looking forward to socializing with other people involved in the same clubs.  This annual event has played a huge role in the past by allowing students to get out of their comfort zones by joining clubs that affiliate with their hobbies and passions.  

Benzinger stated, “All in all, any new clubs are really going to be beneficial to our whole school’s atmosphere, participation, and spirit.”