Cutting the Net and the Season

The varsity boys’ basketball team concluded their season on Thursday, February 22nd, at a playoff game here at home, the final score being 55-68, Calaveras. 

Despite the loss, the team had a great season. They were undefeated league champs and made it to playoffs, where the season came to an end. This season was the last for many of the boys on the team. Several boys  completed their final year of playing basketball for Ripon High, including Bodie Benson, Matt Hix, Derek Wright, James Gaalswyk, and Kyle Sisk.

Varsity athlete Kyle Sisk describes his experience of playing in high school and how it is finally coming to an end.

“I feel pretty sad to be leaving senior year, it all came too fast,” says Sisk.

This time playing high school sports as a senior is very emotional. It’s hard to comprehend that this is your last time playing on this court, representing your school you have attended for four years.

“These last few games meant a lot to me and I really wanted to be able to take my team further in playoffs,” Sisk explains, “but unfortunately, I couldn’t.”

Sisk plans to continue his basketball career at the collegiate level next year.

I think that’s one of the reasons we found success. Our team motto is ‘together’, and that’s what we’ve been all year,

— Troy Brogan

Unlike the seniors, however, their high school basketball career has just begun, like sophomores Troy Brogan, Nico Iladri, and Danny Hernandez who played varsity this year.

“It’s really exciting to play on varsity as a sophomore,” Brogan explains, “the competition level is way higher so it forces me to work super hard to improve my game.”

Although it’s frustrating the team didn’t advance farther in playoffs, Ripon is extremely proud of the team and their accomplishments. Strong bonds have been created during the 2017-2018 season that will be forever memories for everyone on the team. The boys all describe how close they grew as a team. This ultimately makes it the most difficult part about leaving and ending the season. 

“Our team has a really strong bond,” Brogan says, “I think that’s one of the reasons we found success. Our team motto is “together”, and that’s what we’ve been all year,” Brogan concludes.