FFA Spirit Week

National FFA week is celebrated by FFA chapters around the country. It is always celebrated the week of George Washington’s birthday as he is celebrated by the group for his farming, agricultural, and financial skills.  The week gives members of FFA the chance to educate their community about agriculture. This year (2018) National FFA week was celebrated from the 17th to the 24th.

“I think it’s [FFA week] cool because it gives us a whole week to do fun stuff with our members and get our name out to the whole student body,” says Ripon High’s FFA president Mallory Brenner, “It gives us a chance to show kids and the community what we’re all about.”

We try to use National FFA Week to get our name out there. We open ourselves up to the school because we want to celebrate the week with everyone

— Ryan McDonough

Every year, Ripon High’s FFA program celebrates National FFA week with a spirit dress-up week.

“The dress-up days are there to foster involvement from the whole school, not just FFA members. This is also the purpose of the Car and Truck Show and the Ice Cream Social,” says Ripon High’s FFA treasurer Ryan McDonough, “We open these activities to the whole school because we want them to we want them to see us on campus making a positive difference by bringing the whole student body together.”

The dress-up days this year were: Tuesday- green or YouTuber day, Wednesday orange or Ag career, Thursday- blue or Meme day, and Friday- yellow and blue (FFA colors).

“We chose these dress-up days because we thought it would be fun to tie in internet trends with Ag related things. It was a way to show the school that Ag is cool too,” says Brenner.

“FFA has always had a strange reputation on campus. We come off as exclusionary but that’s never our intention, we’re just so busy and always have so many things to do we often forget to keep up our public image on campus,” says Mcdonough, “We try to use National FFA Week to get our name out there. We open ourselves up to the school because we want to celebrate the week with everyone.”