Black Cats Coming Out of the Dark

Aubree Pelon, Journalist

We have all heard of the new Marvel movie “Black Panther” that was released in theaters on February 16, 2018. The movie is favored by many, which includes the connection and bond created from the characters to the viewers.

Due to the connection shared between the viewers and characters, there have been reports of people adopting black cats because of the obsession of the movie.

Image result for black panther movie Related image

One blogger from Tumblr stated that cats are being adopted rapidly just from this blockbuster hit.

— My local pet shelters went from having something like 50-60 black cats between them to having none, because they have all been adopted out and named after the characters.

“My local pet shelters went from having something like 50-60 black cats between them to having none, because they have all been adopted out and named after the characters. ‘T’challa is the most popular, but there are a fair number of ‘Okoy’s’ and ‘Shuri’s’ as well … and one very confused elderly Human Society volunteer wondering why someone would name such a sweet cat ‘Killmonger’.”

We aren’t complaining however, as this is a blessing to shelters and rescues. Three to four million cats are accepted into shelters each year, with 71% being euthanized, 30% being black cats. This only leaves 29% of cats to find forever homes.

Rescues and shelters are even having Black Panther themed adoption events, just like a shelter in Texas held. They showed a special screening of the Black Panther movie, along with putting all their black cats up for adoption in hopes of them to find their home.

Regardless of the reason for people adopting animals out, always remember there are millions of animals dying a year from shelters euthanizing them. Saving a life and adopting from rescues or shelters instead of buying from breeders or pet stores is a strong message that needs to be heard on a larger spread.

Make sure you go watch the hit movie ‘Black Panther” in theaters now. Not to mention you should consider adopting a furry friend into your home!