RHS Journalism Gets Inspired at JEA

Ripon High School’s Journalism program attended the 2018 National High School Journalism Convention in San Francisco from April 12 to April 13. The convention is sponsored by JEA (Journalism Education Association) and it’s partner, the NSPA (National Scholastic Press Association). Whether it’s ethics and law, technology and design, advertising and business operations, photography and art or just the basics of news writing and reporting, this convention covers the bases.
The two day event had workshops and sessions for all types of students that attended the event. There was support for all media types including newspaper, yearbook, photography and online news. Ripon High Students attended several of these sessions and workshops.
“The most important thing I learned is that group collaboration and involvement are important to have an organized and successful class,” stated journalist Nimrit Hayer in regards to what she learned at the conference.
“Next year, when I become Editor-in-Chief, I would like to implement class calendars and encourage more collaboration,” added Nimrit Hayer.
Girls Sports Editor Rachel Sausedo participated in a team storytelling workshop. “I learned you just have to put your mind to it and dig deep for a story and then it’s easy. You can write a whole story if you put your mind to it and dig deep for a story and then it’s easy.”
Rachel Sausedo went on to add, “You can write a whole story if you interview the right people and get all of the information you need.”
Students from Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School received the first Courage and Commitment Award during the opening ceremony of the convention. Despite their youth, and the recent horror and loss they’d been exposed to, they continued to publish.
“I have a number of students who were there in that building and in those classrooms,” Lerner said in an earlier interview with Walsworth. “Some were very close with the victims. And it’s very hard trying to separate yourself and tell the story while, at the same time, you’re grieving and going through them,” stated Stoneman Douglas journalism advisor, Sarah Lerner.
Ripon High Journalism advisor Mrs. Valponi weighed in on the award stating, “Being in the same room as people who went through so much was touching. It meant a lot for the students to see them receive the award.”
Being the first time going to the event, there were lot’s of headaches early on in the trip. “It was stressful,” stated Mrs. Valponi. “I was afraid something would go wrong with our hotel rooms once we got there. Luckily, once we were there, had our rooms, and found the convention it turned out to be fun.” After finding their way around, the staff learned lots of new ideas to improve the journalism program at Ripon High.
Valponi added, “There were lots of ideas I want to use for next year like bootcamp. We are definitely going to attend JEA next year in Anaheim.”

The journalism class poses for a picture at this years JEA Conference in San Francisco