How Corona is affecting Student’s Sleep Schedule

How Corona is affecting Students Sleep Schedule

Due to the Pandemic of COVID-19, students are forced into self-quarantine and assigned schoolwork to do over the break. Some students were extremely excited that they didn’t have to go to school for the rest of the year. That was until we got all of our school work assigned to us. Most students can say that they don’t like doing their homework very much, while others say it doesn’t bother them. One thing that has been impacted greatly is sleep schedules.

“I go to bed around four in the morning and wake up at 12,” sophomore Alexis Ehrenberg states.

The Pandemic causes some students to go to bed early in the morning and wake up later in the afternoon since they don’t have to go to school the next morning. 

“I go to sleep from like three to five and wake up at one or three in the afternoon,” freshman Grace Mikami says in response to how her sleep schedule is.

With students not being able to go to school and let alone other public places, they are forced to stay inside. Students are forced to do things that they might not have had the chance to do before the pandemic like take naps, increasing the amount of sleep they get. 

“During the day I do school work, tik toks, talk to friends, go on bike rides, and take naps,” freshman Paige Eddy says. 

Some people are using this time to get extra sleep, while others are staying up later since they don’t have to wake up early for school the next morning. Students wake up to emails and notifications from their teachers assigning the work to them, debating whether or not they should do it now, or another time when they have nothing better to do. Students either do their homework the day it’s assigned, throughout the week, or don’t do until the very last minute.

I go to sleep from like three to five and wake up at one or three in the afternoon

— Grace Mikami

“I usually spread the homework out since it’s not too much, I can go a few days without doing homework and then a bunch of assignments in one day,” junior Kiley Holland mentions. 

“I revolve my classwork around before I run and after I run, so I get things done while not having to worry about turning in assignments,” junior Abe Alsaidi says. 

Some students stay up super late doing their homework since they don’t do it during the day, causing them to sleep in. Not going to school and having to turn in assignments online has messed up people’s sleep schedules. This ranges from students sleeping in and not sleeping enough.