New Year, New Intent

Last year one of our teachers at Ripon High, Mrs. Mortensen (Morty), started a project titled My Intent. This year she is continuing them. They were a big hit last year, so she decided to keep them going and make a Volume 2 of these bracelets.

What is the My Intent Project? The My Intent project is to spread words through bracelets. You can put any word you want on them. It can be something strong and powerful or simply just something kind. The bracelets are made to find strength in yourself and to keep you going. They were started last year while Ripon High was doing distance learning. These bracelets provided a light of optimism and hope. They symbolized looking forward to the little things. During the tough times, these hopeful bracelets shined a light for some students.

“Normalcy is gone at this point in time,” says Mortensen, Ripon High Leadership teacher. 

Ripon High came together to create a place of mindfulness. Each student could express themself with their words. The project overall made us stronger as a school and connected us through a strand of inspiration and kindness.

Morty states that she wanted to start this project two years ago but that the project wasn’t meant for two years ago, it was meant for now. You can look at your bracelet and remind yourself that everything is going to be okay.

I picked “strength” as my word for this bracelet. It represents who I am as a leader and student at Ripon high. The My Intent bracelet is inspirational to me and it is also very convenient to wear around

— Derek Ngyuen

“This project brought unification to our school as we relate to the power of our words,” says Mortensen.

The My Intent project symbolizes the strength that we can use to all come together at Ripon High. We can use these bracelets to help ourselves, spread positivity and kindness, while also spreading it to others that we come into contact with. By having a vol. 2 of the bracelets, we can keep the good vibes going.

“I picked “strength” as my word for this bracelet. It represents who I am as a leader and student at Ripon high. The My Intent bracelet is inspirational to me and it is also very convenient to wear around,” said Derek Ngyuen, senior.