Spotlight: Jayson Ponce

This May, Ripon High’s very own Jayson Ponce will be graduating from his final year of high school. In his four years at Ripon High, Jayson has accomplished a plethora of things and really made an impact on our community on top of taking challenging classes at school. 

Ponce is involved in many extracurricular activities, some of which being soccer, working at Taco Bell, and band. He plays for Ripon High School’s band and is the only senior able to play two instruments, the clarinet and trumpet. Jayson is also the only senior who made his way onto county honor band, and has built a very close connection with his band teacher, Mr. Felver, over the years. 

“By far, I believe Mr. Felver is the most impactful teacher on me. He’s not a part of the social norm and that’s what I like about Mr. Felver. He’s not like one of those cliche teachers that you see in like movies or anything like that and he doesn’t settle for mediocrity. He stays true to his word.” says Ponce.

Unlike some high schoolers, Jayson has had a very positive experience over the last four years in high school. Jayson has had good friends, supportive teachers, and most of all, his dad to keep pushing him to be the best version of himself. 

“My dad is very strict. He has pushed me to work hard a lot in stuff, and I don’t want to give him credit, but my dad is really the one who pushed me through high school.” says the senior.

After high school, Jayson has some very exciting plans to venture into the field of directing and acting.

“I hope to go to college after this and then become a director, or film director, actor, or anything really. I just want to be involved in it,” continues Ponce.

The senior believes that high school has really prepared him for the future and has made him ready for what is to come after. 

“High school really showed me the competition about how I am doing in life compared to the other people around me. Towards the end of high school, I realized that I need to get it together.” exclaimed ponce.

​​