Spotlight Article: Jeff Hessler

This May, along with the seniors at Ripon High, our very own night custodian, Jeff, will be leaving Ripon High School. Jeff has been working as a custodian for about 10 years, most of those years being at RHS. Over the years he has learned to love Ripon High and the students.

“The kids. There are really, really great kids here. A couple of jerks, yeah, but for the most part they are just really good kids and the staff is amazing. Good people.” says Jeff when asked what he is going to miss most about RHS.

Jeff is the night custodian at Ripon High School. He comes to work at 2 o’clock and doesn’t go home until 10 or 11 p.m. He cleans classrooms and bathrooms, and cleans up the campus as well as doing things like garbage and cleanup in each classroom. Although the students don’t know it, Jeff is the reason we have toilet paper in the bathrooms in the mornings, and the reason why the garbage isn’t overflowing in each class. 

Although it may seem like he has been, Jeff has not been a custodian his whole life. He began working at 15 years old, and has been working for over 50 years. He started off in the printing industry and continued that for 30 years, until he decided it was time to switch things up.

“The printing industry dried up, and I needed to do something else and happily I discovered Ripon High!” says Jeff.

Jeff says his favorite memory at Ripon High was winning the Dude Be Nice award back in 2016. Even over half a decade later, Jeff still cherishes this moment close in his heart.

“When I got the Dude Be Nice award that was so just so cool. That was totally unexpected because it was from the students and that just, you know, it means a lot.” says Jeff.

Jeff has had a long career as a custodian. He has done a lot for everyone at Ripon High, and has truly impacted our school. So for these last few months we have left with him, a simple “thank you” would go a long way!

The kids. There are really, really great kids here. A couple of jerks, yeah, but for the most part they are just really good kids and the staff is amazing. Good people.

— Jeff Hessler

[sno-poll id=”13764″ result_color=”#bf0d0d” tile_color=”#ffffff” align=”left” background=”on” background_color=”#ffffff” border=”all” border_color=”#888888″ border_size=”5px” shadow=”on”]