The Nuts Get Cracked by the Rawhide

The Modesto Nuts, the single-A advanced affiliates of the Colorado Rockies, had an amazing season this year! The first half of the season had started out a bit rocky with the Nuts ending up placing fourth in the North Division. The Nuts did not stay down for long and came back as winners for the second half of the North Division. The last regular game of the season took place on Monday, September 2nd and resulted in the Nuts’ final win of the year, 11-0 versus the Stockton Ports. The Modesto Nuts staff, players, and fans were excited to be going to the playoffs. The first game was on Wednesday, September 4th in Visalia against the Rawhide, but the Nuts were defeated, 4-2. In order to stay in the playoffs, the Nuts needed to win the game on Thursday, September 5th at John Thurman Field. It looked like the Rawhide were going to win when it was already the bottom of the sixth and they were ahead by two hits with the Nuts not even on the board, but by the ninth inning the Nuts had caught up and the score was 2-2. The game went all the way until the 12th inning when the Rawhide got a run and the Nuts fell flat at making it home, finishing the game with the score 3-2. The Modesto Nuts tried their best this year, but were unable to crack the playoffs. 2014 is sure to be the Year of the Nuts.

Al and Wally are the official mascots of the Modesto Nuts.

By: Jessica Ureste