The Struggle of Being Left-Handed

Being left-handed is not easy.  First of all, apparently I have been living my entire life without knowing that left-handed scissors existed.  After that discovery, I felt like my world had changed forever.

It’s hard doing some things.  When I am taking notes in a notebook in class the spirals always get in my way and my writing gets super messy.  On that note, I can’t even write in pen without getting ink smeared all over my paper.  Even pencil lead smears sometimes.  There is no escape from it.

I also keep bumping elbows into someone while writing every twenty seconds.  At practice, when my coach tries to explain something that is directed toward right-handed people, I have to try to figure out how to do it by doing the opposite of what I was told to do.

Then again, when you meet someone else who is left-handed, it is really cool because you both have the same problems and can relate to each other easily.  

One of the best parts about being left handed is that there’s a left-handed store called “Lefty’s” on Pier 39 in San Francisco.  It has so many cool things, like pens that are designed so that your writing doesn’t smear, cups that only lefties can drink out of (if a right-handed person were to drink out of it, there is a hole toward the top that would make the drink spill on them), and other souvenirs.

It’s not always easy being left-handed, but it definitely has its perks.  Speaking on behalf of 12 percent of the world’s population, we definitely wouldn’t have it any other way.