Cleveland Indians Advance to World Series

On October 19th, 2016, the Cleveland Indians went into Game 5 of the American League Championship Series with a 3-1 lead in the series against the Toronto Blue Jays. The Indians won the first three games of the series, and fell to Toronto in Game 4. The Indians shocked the league during the summer with their franchise record 14 day winning streak. They cruised their way through the rest of the season, ending up clinching the American League Central Division with a record of (94-67). Going into the ALCS, the Indians were pretty fired up from just sweeping the Boston Red Sox in the ALDS 3-0. In Game 5, they felt confident with their rookie pitcher, Ryan Merritt, who kept the Blue Jays scoreless for 4 ⅓ innings. “It’s almost like a fairy tale.” said Merritt. First baseman Carlos Santana, and outfielder Coco Crisp both helped the Indians with home runs. The Indians defeated the Blue Jays with a final score of 3-0. The Cleveland Indians will go on to face either the Los Angeles Dodgers or the Chicago Cubs in the World Series, starting on Tuesday, October 25th. The Indians will go into the World Series with a postseason record of (7-1) and looking to win their first World Series since 1948. “The city is starving for this, especially the baseball team. We’ve been so close but we haven’t gotten the trophy. We’ll be pushing hard to do this.” said the former Cleveland Indians catcher Sandy Alomar Jr. imgres