Ripon High Students Fight Against Drugs

The week of October 17, Ripon High School celebrate fighting against drugs and showing their spirit during Red Ribbon week. In Red Ribbon week, students get together, dressing in a variety of costumes that also showed their power against narcotics.

The Refuse to Use banner hanging outside the school.

Around the school, peer assistants set up the campus to be based on the drug-themed week. The main sight was red ribbons tied around the fence leading to the school’s pool, saying “Refuse to use”.

October 17 is Superhero Day, telling students to, “Have the power to say no to drugs!” Ripon students and teachers walk around, wearing capes and symbols of heroes such as Batman, Superman, and Captain America and showing their powers.

On Tuesday, October 18, the day was Tie Dye Day, where students wear tie dye and various bright colors, with the main message being, “Peace out drugs!”

Following Tie Dye Day was Hawaiian Day, with students wearing grass skirts, assorted palm tree-covered clothing, and leis, with the fitting title of, “Lei off drugs!”

img_0199
Students dressed for Lei Day.

The fourth day is Twin Day, letting students “Double up against drugs.” Friends came together, dressing up in similar (or in some cases, the same) outfit, trying to look the most similar to one another they could.

After the school week of fighting against drugs, the final day came by, Sports Day. Being told to “Hoop up, don’t shoot up,” students dress in uniforms and teams of their favorite sports to say that your health will be affected if you do drugs, hurting your ability to do activities such as athletics.

All-in-all, students celebrated, dressing up for these events, hanging out with their friends, and showing their spirit to fight against drugs.