Ripon Chiefs Superbowl Bound

Ripon is not only known for its high school sports but for its city youth football and cheer, Ripon Chiefs. The Chiefs have had a tradition of excellence since 1985 being part of the Motherlode Valley Football League where they have been the Super Bowl champions 9 different years.

On Saturday, October 29, 2016, the Junior Varsity football team again played an exciting game, taking home the win in the final round of playoffs against the Linden Lions, winning 40-6. The Lions were the only team this season to beat the JV Chiefs. This game made Ripon JV the Valley Division Champions, where they will come together again Nov. 5 for the Super Bowl playing the Mountain Division Champions which is Sonora.

“I have never seen our kids play with that much heart in any game than the game we played Saturday”, said Coach Chad Van Dyken.

There were many highlights of the game including, Blake Nichelson #21, who plays running back and safety, who made four touchdowns, Caleb Johnston #24, who plays fullback and linebacker(defense), with one touchdown, and Jaden Clark #6, who is the quarterback, who scored a touchdown.

Of his two interceptions, Roman Villalovoz, who plays defensive back, #8 said “I’m glad my two interceptions today were able to help contribute to winning to a team that we knew was going to be tough to play. We all played hard and going to the Super Bowl is exciting! To be a better football player than you’ve ever been; you have to do something you’ve never done”.

The junior varsity boys together as a team worked hard to succeed. Many will cheer them on at the Super Bowl.