Finishing Strong: XC TVL Finals

Ripon High’s cross country team went to the TVL Finals to compete.  Luckily that day there was perfect running weather and the runners were all ready to perform to the best of their abilities, as it was their last race of the regular season.  On Wednesday, October 26, the JV and Varsity runners came to the course to run their hearts out.

It ended up being a very successful race for many of the runners.  Chloe Kiser, Gianna Brocchini, and Abbigail Williams were the top three girls on the JV team, and Brock Phelps, Grayson Wagner, and Josh Atilano were the top three boys.

¨[The best part was] getting my PR,” said freshman Gianna Brocchini, who was just one out of other runners who got their personal record.

“I’d say just trying to beat your PR every race [is the best part],” said freshman Elias Herrera, when asked what the best part of the race was.

Kayla Jacklich, Sandra Castillo, and Makeila Hinrichsen were the top three girls on varsity, and Timothy Cribbet, Luis Munoz, and Austin Matthews were the top three boys.

¨Seeing my parents smile when I ran by them,” said sophomore Timothy Cribbet, recalling what the best part of his race was.

As a whole, the team performed well together.

“After the race, we all had decently good races, so we had a super close bond after.  Everyone was in a good mood after,” said junior Kayla Jacklich.  

The cross country team does a lot of team bonding together, which affects their performance and sportsmanship.

“We sing songs on the bus. We mess around before practice and crack some jokes,” both juniors Mackenzie Winters and Kayla Jacklich agreed.

Team bonding has brought everyone closer together.  The sport itself is already challenging and trying, and having people who you are close to can just make it a bit easier.

Because it is such a hard sport, it makes a person stronger.

“It [cross country] has made me stronger,” said sophomore runner Denver West, “because I can believe in myself and push myself farther.”

The cross country team will compete in subsections on Saturday, November 5 in Frogtown.