Chicago Cubs Win World Series

img_1780

One of the longest droughts in sports history is now over.

The Chicago Cubs became World Series champions for the first time in 108 years, defeating the Cleveland Indians 8-7 in Game 7 at Progressive Field Wednesday night.

The Indians were down 6-3 at the bottom of the eighth inning, but tied things up with Brandon hitting an RBI double and Rajai Davis making a two-run home run, both off pitcher Aroldis Chapman. After nobody scored in the 9th inning, the game was halted by a rain delay that lasted 17 minutes.

When play resumed at the top of the 10th inning, the Cubs scored two runs on an RBI double by Ben Zobrist and a single by Miguel Montero. David scored a run for Cleveland on a single, but relief pitcher Mike Montgomery shut them down with a ground out to get Chicago the win. Zobrist was named the World Series MVP.

“To be a championship team, you have to be able to come back from moments like we had in the bottom of the eighth,” Zobrist said, who also brought the Royals to the World Series last year. “I don’t know if there’s any other team that I’ve ever been on that would have been able to come back from that.”

Eight different players for the Cubs recorded an RBI, the most of any team in a World Series Game 7. They were the first team to come back from a 3-1 deficit and win the Series since the 1985 Kansas City Royals.