Ripon Faces “Tough Loss” Against Hilmar in TVL Final Championships

_dsc0180Ripon High had their annual senior football night on Friday, November 5. Cars lined the streets near the high school for blocks and people flooded the Mavis Stouffer field stadium as the town of Ripon came out to support their boys in hopes they would take the TVL title for 2016.

The night began with the senior football players all accompanied by their loved ones as they were acknowledged for their dedication to the sport over the years.

Hilmar High School invaded the Indian territory with their boys confident, but these competitive attitudes were mirrored in the attitudes of Ripon High’s players as well.

The game began, the TVL title on the line. Hilmar with a new quarterback Tristan Crowley, due to senior Chase Kindberg out for the season for a knee injury. The Yellowjackets (9-1, 5-0 TVL) were determined to prove the predictions of Modesto Bee sports writer James Burns wrong. James Burns had predicted that Ripon (6-4, 4-1 TVL) would take the title of the season, but Burns only fueled the motivation that drove the Yellowjackets to win the final TVL season game.

Although Ripon was confident, with an outstanding defense the past four league games. Hilmar came onto Ripon’s field hoping to prove they had what it takes to take title.

There were multiple penalties costing Ripon High a few yards in the first quarter. A quick attempt to come back in the second quarter, but was unable to follow through. A turnover, a few penalties, and a hand full of incomplete passes made it difficult for Ripon to maintain the momentum needed to finish the job. Final score, 21-7.

Aaron Paschini, varsity wide receiver, stated, “We played defense as a team very well, but on offense we couldn’t get any momentum and weren’t getting anywhere with the ball.”

It was as head coach Christopher Musseman put it, “A tough loss. They had worked so hard to get where they were in the season and it was tough to lose at that point.”

While the Ripon Indians did not take the Trans Valley League title as had been predicted, they will continue on to CIF playoffs, playing against Capital Christian in Sacramento on November 11th.

Christopher Musseman is in agreement with his athletes when he states, “We are a better team than anyone ever thought we could be.”

Ripon has been ‘misjudged’ this football season, but they have proven to still be strong despite the loss. The RHS coaching staff has shared that the game against Hilmar will not affect how they play, only who they play.

Musseman states, “I am proud of the kids and the effort they gave [last Friday] there were many moments when it was difficult to keep working and easy to give up. But they worked hard regardless of the score.”