Westbrook triple-doubling into history

Oklahoma City Thunder point guard, Russell Westbrook is making business of this NBA season. After helping his team in a 101-92 win over the New Orleans Pelicans this past Sunday, the Oklahoma point guard was named the Western Conference Player of The Week after putting up phenomenal performances this past week. Giannis Antetokounmpo was named the Eastern Conference Player of The Week alongside Westbrook.

Westbrook has amassed great stats this season. His average stats per game so far are 31 points, 11.3 assists, and 10.8 rebounds in 21 games. No other player has averaged a triple-double in a season since 1962.  Westbrooks great performances are gaining him compliments from NBA coaches all around the league. Milwaukee Bucks coach, Jason Kidd, said, “ He is athletic, you need guys scoring the ball on your team, assists are hard to get. But understand he’s doing this without KD (Kevin Durant), that’s what makes him special.” Westbrook makes humbled comments of his success this season saying, “ I don’t want to get in a conversation of if I’m going to do do it every night. I just go out and compete at a high level every night, like I’ve been doing since I’ve been in the NBA.”

Westbrook is currently sixth in all time career triple doubles with 47. He is 12 behind Larry Bird who has 59 under his belt. Along with being the Western Conference Player of The Week, Westbrook recorded his fifth straight triple-double. He is the first person to achieve this feat since Michael Jordan in 1989. He is currently the leading active players in triple-doubles.

Westbrook and the Oklahoma Thunder will be playing again December 5, 2016 at 4:30 P.M. against the Atlanta Hawks.

Jan 6, 2016; Oklahoma City, OK, USA;  Oklahoma City Thunder guard Russell Westbrook (0) dribbles the ball against the Memphis Grizzlies during the second quarter at Chesapeake Energy Arena. Mandatory Credit: Mark D. Smith-USA TODAY Sports
Oklahoma City Thunder point guard Russell Westbrook (#0) dribbles down the court.