Derek Carr’s Injury Leads to Failure

The day of December 24th was anything but happy for the Oakland Raiders. At their game against the Indianapolis Colts, they were leading 33-25 in the fourth quarter, when star quarterback, Derek Carr, left the game with a broken fibula. The Raiders went on to win the game 35-25, but it put a serious damper on the win.

The Raiders had an outstanding season, clinching a playoff spot for the first time since 2002. Without their star quarterback, the team was shaken up and out of sync when they had to start rookie quarterback, Connor Cook, against the Houston Texans in the AFC Wild Card Game on Saturday, January 7 in Houston.

“It was his first start, on the road, in a playoff game, against the No. 1-ranked defense,” Raiders Coach Jack Del Rio said. “It was a tough draw for him. We had hopes that we would be able to do enough around him so he wouldn’t have to do as much.”

The Raiders were defeated 14-27 by the Texans.

“I’ve got all the faith in Connor or Matt — any backups we’ve got,” cornerback David Amerson said. “But they know, at full strength, ain’t nobody in the league touching us, man. We’re going to take this loss on the chin, and we’re going to come back, for sure.”
The Houston Texans (10-7)  will go on to play the New England Patriots (14-2) on Saturday, January 14 in New England.

oakland_raiders_wordmark-svg