Why the Sadie Hawkins Dance Got Cancelled

Due to a shortage of ticket sales, the Girl’s League has been forced to cancel the Sadie Hawkins dance. The dance was originally set for January 20 from 9 pm to 12 am. Famous couples was the theme for this year and food was going to be provided.

The majority of the student body is relieved that the dance has been canceled, while a select few is left disappointed.

Freshman Ashlee Meraz, who is part of the group that is glad due to the eradication of the dance, she states, “I’m so relieved Sadies has been canceled. There is a certain amount of pressure that comes with every dance and I am grateful that the pressure has been alleviated.”

A few girls had asked boys before they knew the dance wasn’t going to go on. Sarah Whitley says, “It takes a lot of courage for girls our age to ask boys [to the dance] and I’m disappointed that a lot of us put all of this effort in for nothing.”

The cancellation wasn’t a surprise due to the reputation of cancellations in the past regarding the Sadie Hawkins dance. Some suspect that his year was especially lacking in student participation because of bad advertisement and publicity. Even when the Girls League received help from the ASB class in promoting the event it had not been announced enough time in advance. While other successful dances had been promoted several weeks, to a month and a half in advance, this event had minimal public attention and not enough promotion to be successful.