Ripon Indians Volleyball Goes Set for Set With Pitman Pride

Ripon High Varsity Volleyball Team

Pitman played Ripon High Volleyball to kick off the season in a friendly scrimmage on Friday, August 25. Points and stats were not tracked as this was a  scrimmage.

“We did a lot better than we had thought we would,” stated Junior hitter Mia Van Lewen.

The team didn’t expect to work so well especially due to many key players graduating last year.

“We played with a lot of confidence even though we were playing a team like Pitman, which is Division 1,” Van Lewen added.

The pool of players to choose from is incredibly different among a small Division 4 school like Ripon compared to a big school like Pitman.

“If it was a real game I think it would have been a really close one.” stated Junior libero Deven Stokes. The team attributed their good performance to their communication.

“When we talk a lot in the game it helps everyone know where to be and work well as a team,” stated Stokes. Van Lewen and Stokes also added that when it gets quiet on the court the team doesn’t function like it should.

“We played with heart and didn’t give up even when we had catching up to do. That is the key component to volleyball, or any sport, perseverance and giving it your all makes or breaks a team and I think we displayed those qualities well against Pitman.” added Junior defensive setter Mia Benzinger.

The Indians Volleyball team will take on Lincoln High School at home on August 30 at home.