The End of Guy Cheer?

Guy cheer has been an annual event during homecoming week at Ripon High for a long time. Guy cheer usually performs at  homecoming rallies and during halftime at the Powderpuff game, but this year it was canceled.  

Guy cheerleaders preforming at the 2016 Powderpuff game.

“I heard that there wasn’t a lot of involvement. No one wanted to do it this year” said senior Ryan McDonough who has done guy cheer all of his first three years of high school and was planning on doing it this year as well.  The lack of involvement may mean that guy cheer may be permanently canceled if there is no one who wants to part of it next year.

“I hope they do it next year but… it’s been mostly our class so since all the seniors are leaving… I don’t know if there is going to be enough interest to do it next year. “McDonough said when asked if he think they will try to continue guy cheer next year. If the same thing happens next year, there is a very good chance that guy cheer will be permanently cancelled.

“I think they’ll try but it might get canceled.” said Isaiah Thompson, another senior who has done guy cheer for his first three years and was planning on doing it again this year until it got canceled.

One factor that might have caused not many people to do guy cheer is that there is practice everyday during lunch. “I was kinda bummed out at first but it’s kinda nice not having to go to practice everyday.” Thompson said.  

“I was really looking forward to it this year” said McDonough. This would have been his and many others seniors last year to participate in this Ripon High tradition.