Powder puff, A tradition, That could be cancelled

All the girls ready to fight for the Win but ended up losing to the Sophomores and Juniors, 28-0

Powder puff has been a Homecoming tradition in not only RHS but in High Schools across the country for many years. This event leads to the coronation of the Homecoming King, where all the male candidates are introduced during half-time as well as crowned. It is both a source of homecoming entertainment and sport, a crowd favorite, with precautions. All the girls come together every year to practice for this event.

Although, in the last three years there has been multiple injuries during this event. Some of them including the knee, ACL, and a dislocated shoulder making the district question, should powder puff be cancelled?

Powder puff is a game where girls can step into the football players shoes, instead of tackling they use flags for less injuries, but there is some people who think it is too dangerous and should be cancelled.

In high school students do not want this tradition to end, many have been looking forward to this event all throughout high school to play against your peers.

Vice Principal, Mr. Ramirez, says, ¨I don’t think it should be cancelled, I just want everyone to follow the precautions and be safe. ¨

“You need to follow the precautions so you do not get hurt in the game,” Powder puff participant, Barbara McCrory says, ¨During the practices I was scared I was going to get hurt again.. But it did not stop me from playing because it is my senior year.”

She admits that she did not take the recommended precautions in the previous year of 2016, which lead to her injury where her shoulder was dislocated and McCrory was carried away on a gurney.

Chair of the English department and cheer coach, Mrs. Vasche, says, ¨Historically we have had several people injured during the game, it is supposed to flag football however in my experience I have seen girls tackle each other on the field. Football players need to put in at least 10 days of practice before they are allowed to be put in a competition and the people participating in powder puff only put in 2 weeks worth of 20 minutes of practice for the game. They are under prepared and under trained for the physicality of the game.¨

Powder puff does not seem to have an end in the near future for the Ripon Indians, but as always the safety and well of the students is always in question, while trying to maintain precious Ripon traditions.