Break the Silence. Talk About It. Save a Life.

PALS class covers ground at RHS with inspirational messages.

The issue of suicide was brought to the spotlight last week at RHS when the Peer Assistance Lasting Support class took on Suicide Prevention Week. September 25th through the 29th was designated to spreading awareness for suicide with PALS performing a different activity each day.

On Monday, students were welcomed with inspirational notes all over the campus. On Tuesday, the windows of classrooms were covered with words of encouragement. On Wednesday, PALS handed out candy with notes connected that included the suicide hotline and an encouraging phrase. The class hosted a picnic by the amphitheater at lunch on Thursday, and on Friday there was a guest speaker who came and talked to the class about the issue of suicide.

The week allowed students to connect with each other and let everyone know that there is someone there for them.

“This week helps people to know that they have someone to talk to and that they aren’t alone because some people may feel like they don’t have anyone to go to,” said junior Abbygail Harrell, “Suicide affects everyone and there should be more awareness for it”.

The PALS class was happy to be able to bring awareness to this issue throughout the week.

“I feel good about it. You never know if you actually ever help someone who needed it and knowing that I may have helped someone is a great feeling,” said PALS student Abbygail Harrell.

The teacher of the class, Mrs. Giest, was also very pleased that her class was able to take on these activities.

“I feel honored and privileged to be able to bring awareness to such an important issue, Giest said, “I feel like the issue needs to be talked about more. It is often stigmatized and there needs to be more awareness brought forward and then people become more willing to ask for help”.

On Friday, the PALS class welcomed a guest speaker, the mother of a student at RHS and also the mother of a child who committed suicide fairly recently. She spoke to the class about how much suicide affects families and the explained the issues of suicide.

Mrs. Giest and her PALS class feel that their actions to help prevent suicide is a great way to help people who may need it.

“If we can save a life by bringing awareness, then it is totally worth it”.