Varsity Takes the Game

On Tuesday, October 4, Ripon High’s Volleyball team had their first October game sporting pink for Breast Cancer awareness month.
    The entire varsity team raised awareness by wearing pink socks while the seniors wore small dark pink bows in their hair. The juniors and the few sophomores who got moved up wore light pink bows.
    The first set was close with the score being, 25-18 Ripon causing the stands and parents to cheer.
    “Hughson parents are the biggest reason we want to win,” Coach Catino says, “The parents get really into the game and are really loud and rude. I can say this because my family goes there.”
    The second set was 25-17 also Ripon. During this game the Hughson parents could be heard from the court yelling to the girls how to play and what to do.
    Mia Van Lewen number 10 was known by the crowd from Phillip Carlson a junior’s poster saying “#10 has a cannon”. Van Lewen got ten kills and one block getting the most kills out of anyone in that game from Ripon.
    The third set was 25-21 a closer game than the rest, but Ripon still taking the game winning in three matches and taking the game against Hughson.
    During that game against Hughson, sophomore Alyssa Barrios got four kills and three blocks, while the other middle blocker , Jessica Stanely, got three kills and five blocks.
    Ripon High varsity team’s libero, Deven Stokes, got 18 digs to Rachel Sausedo who as the team’s setter got 16 assists, setting the ball to the hitters allowing them to get all the kills that they do.
    Ripon High’s next volleyball game will be at home a huge match against Escalon High on Tuesday October 10. The last game against Escalon was at Escalon with the freshmen and JV winning, while the varsity lost but took the game to four winning one of the four games. The freshmen game will be at 4:30, JV 5:30, and varsity at 6:30.