The Last Stretch

https://photos.app.goo.gl/bOauM5Ma5ziYMCXe2

Caption:

The top ten finishing varsity girls with our runners, Laila Irigoyen, Sandra Castillo, Aiko DeArth, and Mackenzie Winters, line up for a picture at TVL finals on October 25th.  

Cross country ran TVL finals on Wednesday, October 25 at the week of course legion park in Modesto. This meet is the final league meet that determines the teams who advance to subsections, which includes the other leagues in the area. Next for qualifiers, is section finals, where, if placed top two, of teams advances either individual runners or teams all together to the state meet in Sacramento.

At TVL finals, the Ripon guys frosh soph team qualified for subs, led by freshman Gavin Keane, who ran the 2-mile in 12:03, followed closely by sophomore Aaron McDonough who ran 12:22.

Frosh Soph girls also advanced to subs, with freshman Jolie Delisle finishing the race in second place and first for Ripon with a time of 14:32.

Both varsity girls and boys also went to sub sections in frogtown. Ripon had four girls varsity runners place top ten in league for the 3 mile varsity course, led by freshman Laila Irigoyen who finished 5th place with a time of 21:34, and followed by Sandra Castillo, Mackenzie Winters, and Aiko DeArth.

“The girls ran very well, unfortunately our number one wasn’t able to be there,”says coach Calkins.

“We brought in a solid second and I am very proud of their efforts.”

Boys varsity finished last in league as a team, with the first runner being Benny Dimas who ran a 17:49 minute 3-mile and placed 9th in the race. Dimas was followed by Kyle Sisk, who ran 18:37, then Kennedy Calderon, Austin Olmos, Isaiah Thompson, Austin Matthews, Brock Sadler, and Harrison Jackson.

“The boys were a little bit lacking in motivation and so they placed last in league but both jv teams did very well,” says Coach Calkins.

The girls varsity team must qualify at subs for sections in November where they need to place top two to have a chance at state. With their number one runner and a solid top five, these ladies might have the best shot they have had in years to make it.

“The girls are really pulling together, unitedly as a team. They are enduring some tremendous pain in workouts and in races but they know it’ll be worth it. ” Calkins says. “I am very proud of this team,” he finishes.