One Tribe: Megan Johnson

Megan Johnson is a senior at Ripon High School this year. She has been on the Varsity Soccer team for all four years of her high school career. Johnson isn’t very well known around the campus, but she has impacted the girls’ soccer program greatly and hopes to raise interest and recognition for it among the students here at Ripon High.

Johnson started on the varsity soccer team as a freshman which set her on the road to success during these four years. The team continued to grow, which eventually led to them winning sections during Johnson’s final year on the team.

“It helped me to connect with friends that I normally might not have through my regular classes,” said Johnson about being a part of the team. Choosing a sport that she enjoyed and pursuing it all four years of high school benefited her greatly. She was able to make connections with people she might not have otherwise known as well as advancing in her athletic achievements.

My experiences here helped me realize I like the small school atmosphere,

— Megan Johnson

Johnson’s involvement in the girls’ soccer program here in our small town impacted her decision on where to go to college. She will be attending Humboldt State University in the fall and will be studying mathematics education. “My experiences here helped me realize I like the small school atmosphere,” said Johnson. Having a small team that she is able to make close connections with made it clear to her that the plethora of clubs and activities that Humboldt offers will provide her with the same kind of hometown feel that Ripon High School had for her.

Johnson hopes that through the legacy she has left through the RHS soccer program she will help to grow the recognition of the program and help increase the interest for the girls at Ripon High. Having a group like a soccer team allows for many opportunities to grow as an individual as well as in relationships with others.

As a graduating senior, Johnson wants to share with the underclassmen the importance of joining a team sport during your high school years. “It is a great way to make new friends that have common hobbies,” Johnson said, “ I would totally recommend joining the soccer team or any team sport.”