Survive and Thrive in High School

How to endure through four long years of your life

Deven Stokes, Newspaper Editor

For many students, high school can be a huge transition into the next stage of a student’s life. On some days, it may feel impossible to even survive through one day of high school, let alone 4 years.

Whether you’re a freshman or a senior, starting school can always be a daunting experience. But with a little work and adjustment, high school can actually be made into something life-changing.

In order to outlast high school, the first thing you have to do is try to always be happy. It is important to stay positive when times get tough. Everybody has bad days, but it is important to smile in order for your brain to think clearly and your body to be healthy.

In a study presented by NBC, it was found that smiling can actually boost your overall happiness, no matter what sort of mood you are in. So pretty much, fake it ‘till you make it!

The brain is a sucker for a smile. It doesn’t matter if the smile is out of actual joy or because you’re just pretending. The brain reacts as if something humorous is happening around you. So, even on those bad days, don’t forget to smile!

The second most important way to survive  high school is by keeping yourself healthy through sleep, eating healthy, and exercising. These 3 important actions are vital in surviving through high school.

In a study done by the National Sleep Foundation, it was recorded that only 15 percent of teenagers receive the recommended 8 hours of sleep each night.

The #1 consequence for teenagers for lack of sleep is the inability to focus on the schoolwork that is set in front of them. Therefore, lack of sleep equals lack of focus in school, which will ultimately make students suffer.

As far as eating and exercising, a study was done by South College to find how these two important aspects to a healthy body really impacted a student’s academic success.

Improve your academic success by ditching unhealthy food options and incorporating an exercise routine into your week. You’ll be amazed at the differences you’ll see after the first month, giving you the confidence to excel in your academic studies”

— a South College student

Ultimately, eating right, sleeping, and exercising can make a huge difference throughout your four years of high school. They can positively impact both your mind and your body.

The last, and probably most important, thing you can do to make the most of your high school experience is to find what you love. Whether you love sports, movies, fashion, writing, or something else, you can be successful at whatever you choose to do.

Doing the things that you love can boost your confidence, help you develop a positive attitude, and help you find what brings you happiness. When times get tough, it is important for students to let their stress out by doing something that they enjoy.

Although there are many more way to help students survive high school, these 3 ways will overall make them happier and healthier. By doing the fundamental actions of eating well, getting plenty of rest, and exercising, a student’s body will be strong enough to get through the day and their mind will be able to think clearly.

Most importantly, being happy will make or break a student’s high school experience. By smiling and finding what gives them joy, students will ultimately be happier and not shut down by the pressure of high school. Not only is happiness and wellness important to survive high school, but it is vital for students to thrive.