JV Girls Waterpolo Makes History in Ripon Waters

This season, Ripon girls made history with the first junior varsity water polo team. This team has seven freshmen and one sophomore. Five of the eight girls had never even played water polo before.

Freshman Kennedy Brubaker looks for open team mate to make the shot.

During this two day tournament, they won their first four games, and played incredibly  according to the team and coach Corgait. The team fell short when they had tough competition from Lincoln, and ended up placing second in the tournament.  

“Placing second really shocked me, and probably all of us. Of course there were things we didn’t do well on, but it’s more of a learning experience. And I am excited to see what will happen this year.” freshman goalie Delany Brubaker said.

The last game was a well fought game, with ten blocks by freshman goalie Delany Brubaker, Two goals from Taylor Blair, and one goal from Kennedy Brubaker. This tournament being the first games ever for over half the team, the girls team fought hard, and went home with three and one wins.

All the girls are excited about this season, and believe that they will improve every practice.

“We worked hard, and had a great time.  I think with more practice and experience, we will become better.  We have a great hard-working team,” sophomore Kali Spade stated.

Coach Matt Corgiat is excited about this team, and believes that the girls will improve their skills, and show justy what Ripon is made of.

”Overall it was a great weekend, great opportunity and experience, to finish second with five out of eight players who have never played a game. That’s significant.  This weekend was tremendous, and successful, and I couldn’t be more proud.” said coach Corgiat.

All of the Ripon water polo players, coaches, and parents saw great potential for this team at the tournament, and we can’t wait to see what forces they bring at the next tournament.

“I’m excited for the season and the tournament.  I hope to beat Oakdale this season and be the junior varsity champions,” Delany Brubaker said.

“I’m excited for the season and the tournament.  I hope to beat Oakdale this season and be the junior varsity champions.”

— Delany Brubaker