School Uniforms: Useful or Useless?

Back to Article
Back to Article

School Uniforms: Useful or Useless?

Students from Gusa Regional Science High School in their white and light blue uniforms.

Melvin Villacote

Melvin Villacote

Melvin Villacote

Macie McPeak, Journalist

Uniforms were first worn in England in 1222, according to ProCon.org. Since then, they have evolved and changed into what they are thought of today. Ripon High has never had school uniforms. Should we start now?

Across the United States, schools requiring uniforms have increased by a little over a percent, and now it is the second highest uniform rate over the past ten years.

“Benefits could include students not feeling the overwhelming social pressure of keeping up with the latest style or fashion,” principal Keith Rangel said.

Students have been always trying to keep up with the latest trends to fit in. Fitting in is a stressful aspect in high school. School uniforms would prevent the anxiety of not wearing the “right thing” to fit in.  

“People wouldn’t be able to express themselves and show off their personality,” Ripon Christian freshman Camdan Indelicato stated.

“Some might say that you won’t get to understand the kids as well because you see a lot of their identity and who they think they are by what they wear,” Christopher Musseman said.

School uniforms affect the teacher too. Students represent a piece of themselves in their clothing. Taking that away can affect the relationship between students and their teachers.  Teachers can use their expression from clothes to understand their personality.

One way to express ourselves is through what we wear. Without freedom of expression, students may feel restricted and boxed up. Uniforms may also create a conflict of “who can wear it better.” They could get bullied for their physical appearance in a uniform.

“I know my wife had them [uniforms]… and as much as she complained about them, as she is older now, she thought it was great because whenever she went out on the weekends, she always had a new outfit because she never needed to buy more clothes for school,” Musseman said.

Macie McPeak, Journalism

Volleyball, track, journalism, CSF, FFA- Macie McPeak is a very involved sophmore at Ripon High. She has a passion for writing and loves numerous other...