Student-Athletes to Teacher-Athletes

The majority of students at Ripon High School participate in school sports. Have you ever thought of your teacher playing sports just like you? You’d be surprised how many teachers at Ripon High did when they were our age.

Spanish teacher Mrs.McPherson participated in a range of sports when she was younger. It’s no surprise, however, that she was of course involved with cross country and track, as she’s also the coach for both sports at Ripon High. McPherson outside of high school even played cross country skiing!

“Don’t give up. When things get difficult, keep going because it’s not always the person with the most athletic ability, but the person who works the hardest,” McPherson stated. McPherson encourages school sports but also understands its challenges.

Another coach at Ripon High was also involved with playing in high school sports as well. English teacher Chris Musseman played in football and soccer throughout high school. He grew up in a family where everyone played athletics, and his parents even received college scholarships for. Musseman was really passionate for soccer, and it quickly became his thing when younger. Musseman can relate to the struggles some high student-athletes face when it comes to balancing competitive teams and school teams.

“[…] it was tough. I think playing for your high school is really important for a sense of being able to play with your friends and people you grew up with, the sense of community, and I think it’s unfortunate some kids on this campus who don’t do sports for this high school because of their comp,” Musseman preaches.

Ripon High School’s two campus monitors also played in high school sports! Mark participated in a handful of sports which include football, basketball and baseball. Mark played sports all in high school and even college, so he can relate to students on a more personal level.

Mark scoring a touchdown against Downy, in 1978.

“Student-athletes really need to work on is time management. They have practice, they have a lot on their plate, so they have practice, they got to get their homework done and trying to fit a social life in is tough,” Mark feels. “It’ll definitely help them [students] stay away from the hard times they can have if they don’t manage their time well.”

Sam on the other hand only played rounders, also known as rounders in England!

“Also there’s way more empthesize on sports, especially high school sports, in America than in England. In England there’s no football team, no baseball team, no basketball team, they’re all just for P.E.,” Sam states as she explains the difference between high school sports in the United Kingdom, in compares to America.

“When I went to school we had none of this, we just played at recess,” Sam mentions.

Playing in high school sports are strongly encouraged by many. Don’t be afraid to give it a chance!

“I think it’s [high school sports] changed me into who I am today. I think it’s really important to play your sports and be involved. I loved playing for my high school, I held a real sense of pride for it,” Musseman says.