Top 5 Tips for Underclassmen

Eleanor Tran, Journalist

As the seniors at Ripon High continue to cherish what their last year has to offer, they also begin to reflect on their previous experiences in high school and everything they wish they could have done differently. Although they can’t change their high school experience, the seniors have advice for the future and current underclassmen at Ripon high.

Don’t get in the habit of procrastination

Senior William Sanford

With procrastination being one of the biggest issues high schoolers tend to deal with, it’s necessary to stay on top of all of your assignments. For incoming freshmen, it’s important to start off high school on the right foot.

“Slacking off your freshman year will affect your overall GPA in the future and knowing you could have done better is annoying when you start to apply to colleges,” senior Elisabeth Fereria stated.  

Manage your time

The more sports and extracurricular activities you chose to participate in, the more crucial it is to make sure your time is being put to good use in regards to homework and studying. If your grades start to slips, your eligibility does as well.

“Managing your time is one of the key skills you must learn in high school as you balance school and sports,” senior and volleyball captain Mia Van Lewen stated.  

Build good relationships with your teachers

It is a good idea to be friends with your teachers. It’ll be beneficial in the future when applying to college and in class.

“Build good relationships with your teachers! You’ll have such a better time in school and they’ll help you out when you need it,” senior Evelyn Tyson stated.

Be Confident

Although easier said than done, confidence is key to being successful in high school and life beyond that. Your mindset about school will dictate how you perform.

“Have a confident attitude about school. If you always tell yourself you can’t do it, you will probably fail. Having an open and calm mind will allow you to excel in class and studying,” senior Craig Valdez stated.

Get out of your shell

Although high school can be daunting, it should be a place for you to grow as a person and find your purpose. Don’t let others who think the idea of being involved and spirited is lame ruin your high school experience.

“High school’s exact purpose is for you to find what you like to do. I thought getting involved with school was stupid, but I would never want to go back to the person I once was. Try every sport, go to every club, try AP classes, get to know every person you meet because high school doesn’t last forever,” Valdez said.

Eleanor Tran, Journalist

Eleanor is a junior at Ripon High. Her personal goals for the school year becoming as involved as possible, qualifying for CIF State swimming championships,...