Valentine’s Day: Love or Loathe

As another Valentine’s day came and went, we’re no longer surrounded by the smell of love in the air, heart-shaped chocolates, and a typical bouquet of roses. Valentine’s Day was taken very seriously when we were younger, but that no longer seems to be the case the older we become because the majority of us begin to realize how overrated it is.

In elementary school, there was no pressure to find a valentine. Our only worries back then was bringing enough treats to share with your classmates. We probably didn’t even really know the meaning behind Valentine’s day, but there was no reason to complain if we’re getting free candy. As we get older, the expectations for Valentine’s are set high.

“I think Valentine’s day is a little overrated because there is a pressure nowadays that you have to do something for someone instead of because you wanted to,” junior Will Bremer said.

People that typically have someone to spend Valentine’s with usually go to the extreme to prove how much they care and value the other person, but shouldn’t we choose to do that any or every day that we spend with them? Some may argue that it’s just another day to make your significant other feel extra special.

“I think Valentine’s day has its place and it’s a nice day to show extra love for your loved one,” junior Jeremiah Willey said.

Regardless of how you feel towards Valentine’s day or how you decide to spend it, be sure to make sure you show how much you care to your friends, family, significant others, or even pets on any day of the year!

“There’s no feeling quite like knowing that you’re loved and important to someone, so it’s only fair to share that kind of love to everyone you can,” senior Amber Scheid said.

I think Valentine’s day has its place and it’s a nice day to show extra love for your loved one.

— Jeremiah Willey