Siblings in Service

Back to Article
Back to Article

Siblings in Service

Macie McPeak, Journalist

America is known for its life, liberty and pursuit to happiness, but many don’t know that homes give up a little part of their family, so others can have have freedom of rights.  Students at Ripon High give up a little part of their family because they have their own siblings in the military.

“The first two months, while he was at boot camp, we had no way of contacting him outside of letters…” junior Maddie Melloo said.

Many students who have siblings and other relatives in the military have limited contact and conversation to their loved ones. This brings stress and even depression to make the adjustment of someone not being there. As friends, you can be there for your those who are adapting to their change in their life.

“I was nervous when Andrew and Jacob went overseas because you never know what’s going to happen,” senior Philip Carlson said.

Human nature is to think the worst thing possible. Negative thoughts hang heavy on our shoulders. It is hard to be optimistic and excited when the possibility of your brother is never coming home. When students change in behavior all you have to do is remind them that they can still have fun. You can help them look on the bright side and even get their mind off of the matter.

“I love having my brother served in the military, now that the initial sadness of missing him was worn off. I’m proud of his services and I’m genuinely happy for him,” junior Maddie Melloo said.

After adjusting to having a family member in the military, many students see a new perspective. They see the honor and bravery in their sibling. Having a new perspective on who their siblings are is astonishing. To many, siblings are there to annoy you in a loving way, but once they realize they are being selfless by serving, you have an overwhelming feeling of pride.

“I was sad to see him go, but I was really proud to know he was serving our country,” junior Molly Ysit said.