Sadie’s Proposal Rejected…Again

Sadie Hawkins is a  tradition throughout high schools all over the country and it is normally a tradition at RHS. This year Girls League, which is the club that usually organizes Sadie’s, has decided that it is not worth their time, energy, and money to try to put on the dance.
Instead of boys asking girls to the dance, girls ask the boys to Sadie’s. The idea of girls having the power to ask the guys used to make people excited,  but people aren’t as enthusiastic about the idea now.
Students are prone to hide behind their phones and social media so most girls aren’t as brave. If the girls at RHS don’t ask the boys, it defeats the point of having Sadies.

The entire school doesn’t seem to want to have Sadie’s, some people do and some people don’t, but the majority wins. I think that every club on campus realizes this and doesn’t want to organize an event that the student body isn’t interested in

— Nicole Nguyen

“ A lot of the girls here don’t like to ask the boys and in their mentality, they think that they’re supposed to ask the guys but they don’t have to. You can just go with yourself or friends,” said freshman Niki Nguyen.
The students and faculty involved with Girls League last year teamed up with FFA to make a truly special night for the students at RHS.
“We had really cool tickets, we did advertising, we did flyers, we spent money on decorations and we had a really cool theme, but we had not sold one ticket,” said Mrs. Ochoa, who is the head supervisor for Girls League.
The club decided that they did not want to invest more money into something that no one was interested in.
“We didn’t want to risk losing more money,” she said. She thinks that the money could be used to help support other activities for Girls League.

Lack of spirit and participation in school activities is starting to becoming a pattern at Ripon and students and staff want to put an end to it.
“Our school is beginning to have this ongoing reputation for not being very spirited especially when it comes to dances,” said Malia Taylor who is a junior at RHS.
This is not the first time that Ripon High has had a major lack of student participation when it comes to dances. The Back-to School-dance was heavily criticized by the student body and the Halloween dance was canceled due to lack of sales.
Although there were extremely low ticket sales, there were a lot of concerns that people would be upset about the cancellation of Sadie’s. There are a lot of incoming freshman or people who have changed their minds about Sadies that might have wanted to participate this year.
“I think there’s a portion of people who were looking forward to it and will be upset, but sadly I don’t think most people will be that phased considering lack of interest,” said Taylor
Some are wondering if Sadies might be picked up and planned by another organization on campus, but it doesn’t seem likely.
“The entire school doesn’t seem to want to have Sadies, some people do and some people don’t, but the majority wins. I think that every club on campus realizes this and doesn’t want to organize an event that the student body isn’t interested in,” said Nguyen. “ There is no point. We would be spending all of this money on a dance that no one would go to.”