Donating for a Difference

A puppy awaits adoption at an event through Pupz N’ Palz Rescues. Photo Credit: Pupz N Palz Rescue located in Modesto.

Coin Wars is an annual fundraiser at Ripon High, and its purpose is to raise money for a cause.  This year, the school decided to do something different and use the money that they raised for the Ripon Animal Shelter.

“We wanted to donate to something more local,” said sophomore class officer Kassidy Isham,  “a lot of the kids know about the shelter so they can see where their money is going and truly understand the cause they are contributing to.”

Students that know exactly what they are donating their money to may make them a little more motivated to give the extra change.   It is important for students to have a positive impact in their community, and donating is one way to do that.

There are a number of benefits that would come from the school’s decision to donate to the animal shelter.

“I see a lot more awareness and knowledge about helping and recognizing our local animal shelter,” said sophomore Caryssa McKeon, “within our school, people have been donating a lot and hopefully we brought in a lot of money.”

It would be beneficial if students made this cause more than just Ripon High, and to try to reach out to the whole town.

“We should start putting flyers and jars in local businesses to advertise what we are doing. Many businesses are family owned and would be more than willing to support a local cause,” stated McKeon.

Being able to participate in Coin Wars every year means a lot to certain students.

“Coin wars is one of the main events RHS does that benefits something larger than us.  The high-schoolers can all come together to benefit a cause bigger than themselves,” said Isham.

Ripon high students are able to make a huge difference, and that alone is very rewarding.

“The most rewarding part would have to be the final result of how much money we raised for those poor helpless animals who don’t have a home,” said McKeon, “to know that you supported or helped these animals is a reward within itself.”