Girls League

Last Year’s Girls League Members—Photo Credit: Girl’s League Instagram

Girls League is a club here at Ripon High that has been around for an extremely long time. The main purpose of the club is to unite the young women at Ripon High and create a sort of sisterhood. At the beginning of each year the club members get randomly paired together, usually an upperclassmen with an underclassmen and this pair will be ‘sisters’ for the rest of the year. Girls League hosts many events within the club throughout the year that allows the members to grow a relationship with each other and even host and raise money for causes they choose to help outside of the school in their community.

Faith Yuen, a senior and member of Girls League, has been in the club for three years and enjoys being a part of the club because she gets to meet new people such as her ‘sister’ for the year and the sisterhood aspect is very important to her.

“I really love the sisterhood in the club and the lessons we learn throughout the year at our meetings that help us understand how to navigate the world as women. I think others should join the club because it is a great opportunity to be a part of the school, meet new people, and be involved in the community,” said Yuen.

Alyson Harvey, another senior member of Girls League, has been in the club since her freshman year and enjoys the events of the club, the aspects of bringing and introducing girls to each other, creating stronger bonds, as well as getting involved and helping the community.

“I love the fun activities around the school, doing little gift exchanges, and other events that just bring us girls together,” states Harvey.

Laura Ochoa, a teacher at Ripon High, is the advisor and organizer of Girls League and used to be a member herself when she was in highschool. Some of Ochoa’s favorite annual sisterhood events the club hosts are friendsgiving, twin day, and the scavenger hunt you do with your sister after you meet them. 

“Girls League is important to me because as women we should support other women despite our differences because too many people do not. Therefore, we need to make sure we can count on other women to support us,” stated Ochoa.